Monday, October 22, 2012

One down, one nurse to go plz

Four weeks into the quarter and I have to say, I kind of like it.  I haven't forgotten that my Fundamentals instructor (who's also the director of the program) mentioned at orientation that first term is the easiest and that most people quit next term (when we have our Med-Surg rotation).  Still, considering how long it's taken me to get here (friend Amy, who sat next to me in General Statistics class, is finishing up her last year of Pharmacy graduate school; oh yeah, she also says she's "super proud" of me), it's a relief that I haven't felt an urge to run for the hills.

Last Friday was my first day of clinicals.  I didn't cry or get the giggles, I didn't make the patient cry, all in all it was a huge success.  Dee's confided that the first time she met with a patient during nursing school, she sort of "blacked out" and afterwards couldn't remember anything they'd talked about.  I did manage to bump my head on the arm of the Hoyer lift while I was making up my patient's bed, which fortunately only resulted in minor embarrassment on my part (versus frank bruising, loss of consciousness, etc.).

While I realize that it's not all about the school supplies, I *heart* my stethoscope.  Dee gifted me with an engraved Littman in VIBRANT pumpkin.  The tubing's a "loud" enough shade that I shouldn't lose track of it; plus Seventies Retro Orange always reminds me of my alma mater (woo hoo, Longhorns).  Now I'm contemplating a penlight to match my new school colors: