Thursday, September 3, 2009

Small Packages

Normally I'm not a huge fan of surprises, so Young Blood went ahead and told me to look for something fun in the mail. He also said what to expect, sorta. "If I bought you a scarf from my trip to P-town, would you wear it?" "Sure." "What if it were a wig?" "Yeah, ok." "Cool." Hmm, I guess I'm not getting another necklace.

YB is, in many ways, different from me. He writes thank you cards. And he remembers to send them in a timely fashion. He also wakes up at 5am, 5 days/week to go to The Native Plant Center near his school where he does work-study in inevitably 100 degree weather (80 degree humidity in the Fall). Whereas I doubt that I'll ever call myself a "Morning Person" and I keep one small fern at the office. Still, last year's gift of a single strand of red seeds and beach-colored stones was artfully sprung. He hadn't bothered to ask what type of accessories I'm into (earrings) and I figured he chose red because it's popular (at least around the Xmas holiday). Wait, Mom used to say it was her favorite color--and maybe it's mine too?

This time around, I won't ask Young Blood for a reason ("You know, you don't have to snail mail me anything. I know you're looking for a job-job."). I'll just have to thank him for thinking I have such good taste.